Sunday, August 29, 2010

No Stressing Allowed


My IUI's were the highlight of my week (last week).   As reported, everything went very well with the first one.  The second one went well also (15million motile Swimmers) although the doctor on point for the IUI was running about 40 minutes late.  My appointment was at 11am and I had my first team meeting for my new job at 12pm.  There was nothing I could do about the doctor being late so I didn't let myself get worked up or stressed over it.  I had my IUI at 11:45 and laid on the table for about 8 minutes (shorter than normal but there is no scientific evidence that laying on the table after an IUI has any effect on pregnancy).  I was able to dial in to the meeting on my cell phone a few minutes after 12 as I calmly rushed to the office and joined the meeting in person 20 minutes late.  Nice first impression.   The photo is me on the phone as a child, stress free.

Actually, the first week of work was the worst first week of a new job I've ever experienced.  It started the Friday before when I emailed my new boss and asked her what time I should report in, who I should contact when I got there and if security had been worked out for my building access?  The building I was told I would spend my first week of work is the most secure building out of all of the buildings in this city occupied by this financial institution.  Anyway, my boss - who works in another city - never responded.

I decided 8:30am was a good time to show up Monday morning.  Of course when I got to the security desk there was no record of me.  I called my boss who told me to call Bob (like I know Bob).  Security looked up his number and I called Bob... and got his voicemail.  Remember, I don't know anyone in this division except for my boss since this was my first day back at this company (completely different division than before) after being gone for 18 months.  Long story short, a little more than an hour later I was finally authorized to get through security.  On a bright note, the guys at security were super nice!

The rest of the week went pretty much the same way... I received no on-boarding or directive.  There was no administrative assistant to work through my access to all of the various systems required.  I guess it was assumed that because I worked for the company previously I could handle all of it myself... except I aways had an admin to take care of those details in the past.  I worked through it but it was frustrating and a waste of time hunting through internal websites and loads of documentation to figure it all out.

This is the short version of the beyond frustrating week I had last week. I share this story only to explain that I managed the stress and frustration very well.  I knew it wasn't healthy for my Follies & Swimmers to let the stress take over or keep me up at night.  I did a lot of deep breathing, some stretching and refocusing my thoughts to remember what is important.  

While I expect next week to be a continuation of frustration, it shouldn't be as bad.  Things started to come together on Friday and I expect with each day things will continue to improve.

7 comments:

  1. Hard to get used to a new job under the best of circumstances. You did fantastically and things can only go up from here. You'll be very occupied during your tww and that is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for taking the stress & frustration in stride! I hope this coming week goes more smoothly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds like a rough first week! I hope this week is easier and you're able to take it easy, or at least not feel all stressed out when you get home.

    Oh, and for (hopefully never needed)future reference, there are actually several really good studies out there that show when doing one IUI, reclining for 10-20 minutes (depending on the study) does improve your chances of conception. I doubt that it made a big difference, doing 8 minutes instead of 10, but I thought you'd be interested to know. I really don't know if it makes a difference when doing 2 IUIs though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are having a better 2nd week at work.. Everything will be fine.. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable picture! (and I love the rotary phone... !)
    I'm sorry your new/old company didn't have things planned out a little better regarding your first week back. It must be a compliment -- they have the utmost confidence in you and your abilities to seamlessly transition back!

    Hope you're hanging in there with your tww... when do you test?? I'm going to test tomorrow (10dpiui) and then 12dpiui. Here's to our BFPs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you were talking to me on the phone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info.
    Laminate Flooring

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately due to an overabundance of recent spam I have turned off Anonymous commenting.