Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Decision... for now

My apologies for not writing about my appointment with Dr. T any sooner.  The appointment went well, work has just been busy and I have not felt like blogging since then.

Test Results
CA125... while it is not diagnostic of endo (actually it is diagnostic of ovarian cancer), levels above 20 can indicate an increased risk of endo.  My level was 34.3, not very high but elevated.

I didn't get into the validity of the test because seriously, different doctors have different opinions... I'm not going to try to change her mind about her belief in the test.

Also, I asked if I should be concerned about Ovarian Cancer and she said the levels for that are much, much, much higher, plus we've been looking at my ovaries frequently throughout TTC, Ovarian Cancer is not an issue.


Endo Function Test (from my Endo Biopsy)... this test showed low grade inflammation that could be indicative of endometriosis.

You put the CA125 and EFT results together, along with my mom's history of endometriosis and there is a probability that I have mild endometriosis.  

Protocol/Treatment
BCP + Letrizol - this is the current method of treatment that she and the other doctors at the clinic believe is most effective in calming the uterus prior to an IVF cycle.  They do not use lupron due to the overly suppressing effects which take longer to wear off (given my age suppression is not the right method for me).


Decision
I will continue with this protocol with Dr. T for this cycle.  If this cycle is not successful, I will go to CCRM or another reputable clinic (this gives me time to line up additional consults).

Dr. T also agreed that she will test my CA125 at the end of my second cycle of BCP's (approx. June 20) and if the number goes down, I will not have to do a full third cycle of BCP's and we'll move into my IVF cycle.

And thank you for all of your feedback on your thoughts and experiences with CCRM, other clinics.  I appreciate all of the information you shared in your comments on my last post!

Timing
Since I have no idea within about an 8 week period when my IVF3.0 Stims/ER/Transfer will take place, rather than booking a trip with my oldest friends to celebrate our 40th birthdays this summer... they booked flights to come here in July!  All I have to do is make sure my ER/Transfer is not going to be over that weekend (which I can be sure to manipulate since I'm on BCP's anyway).  We're going to do a spa day, maybe a day at the USNWC rafting, etc along with some boutique shopping.

6 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say it sounds like you have great and supportive friends coming to you to celebrate birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually might be good if they were there to support you during that weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have a plan you're comfortable with.

    Just a question: if you're worried about oversuppression, have you ever been on BCP for two cycles before stimming? (I know that would have completely shut down my ovaries)

    Thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great friends to come to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fingers crossed your CA125 goes down and you don't have to do another cycle of BCPs.

    And so happy your close friends are coming to you to celebrate your birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good plan - hopefully things work perfectly for you this time, and you don't have to go to CCRM or anywhere else for a second opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately due to an overabundance of recent spam I have turned off Anonymous commenting.