Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Doppler

I have not rented or bought a doppler.  At my 13week OB appointment, the nurse couldn't even pick up the heartbeat on the doppler and I had to have another ultrasound (oh darn).

I really didn't want to become someone who needs a home doppler for nightly reassurance... primarily because I have feared I'd use it wrong, not get the heartbeat and really freak myself out!!!

Two weeks ago, halfway between OB appointments, I was at the point that I needed to hear the heartbeat.  I needed to know everything was okay in there (the continued "morning" sickness and constipation isn't enough).  I remember that my nurse had said I could drop in and ask for her for a doppler check if I ever needed to hear the baby.  Since I live about 6 blocks from my OB's office, I thought this was a great option!  So off I went!

My nurse was down at their other office but another nurse checked me (no one even asked my name!) and there was the heartbeat, nice and strong.  I was so happy for that reassurance that I didn't even ask what the heart rate was.

Today was my 16 week OB appointment (at 16w5d) and the only thing I was focused on was getting to hear the baby's heartbeat.  It was a healthy 168!

I mentioned to my OB that I had stopped in a couple of weeks ago to hear the heartbeat.  She said that was fine... and I'm welcome to stop in as often as I need, even every week, if that's what I need!

I'm looking forward to feeling the baby's movements, hopefully within the next few weeks... until then, I see weekly walks over to my OB's office in my future.

12 comments:

  1. It really is reassuring to hear that beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad everything is going well for you...I hope I'll be joining you in listening for heartbeats someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic doctor's office! Wow! I'm very very glad that Baby is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad it's so close for you to drop by. I would be taking them up on that offer too! So exciting that you're already at about 17 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like a lot longer than 16 weeks that we were in CO together! Good job on staying confident, hopefully your baby will start kicking soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to hear the heartbeat, isn't it? I did order a doppler for home use, and while I don't use it every day, I probably do it about 3 times a week so far. I'm sure I'll use it less once I'm feeling the baby moving and kicking. I love that your doctor's office lets you come in anytime you want for a doppler check - that's so awesome! So glad all is going well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Glad to hear all is going well. You will be a new Mommy before you know it:-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to know that all is well and that you'll get the care that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used my doppler every single day until I was able to feel him move regularly. I even traveled with it! How great that your OB is so open to letting you come in for a heartbeat check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so great that your OB is so accommodating ...peace of mind is important. Glad everything going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it was at my 14 week check - it took the OB about half an hour to find the heart beat! (OK I exaggerate)! Glad to hear all your news! When do you find out the gender?

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately due to an overabundance of recent spam I have turned off Anonymous commenting.