About a month ago I saw the 'summer bucket list' blog posts crop up in various blogs I follow. At first I dismissed it, thinking that it didn't apply to Ella and me given her age and her developmental delays. BUT... the more I thought about it, the more I realized that it is PERFECT for us!! I signed right up and started making a list.
We have our own 'rules'... (if there are official rules I've not taken the time to figure out/read them... we've made this our own)
1. "Summer" is a relative term. Our list really encompasses our freedom from RSV isolation season.
Ella spent her first YEAR isolated from the world. There is a good chance (doctor consults pending) that she will have to have some level of RSV isolation next season as well. Summer is not simply June - July - August.... it is April through October... from doors open to doors closed for our lives.
2. Activities on the Bucket List Can NOT be therapy related
Ella already gets 5 - 6 hours of therapy a week, plus homework daily. No therapy goals or events are to be a part of our Summer of Fun activities.
3. It is okay if we don't do EVERYTHING on the list.
In particular, as much as I want to take a trip to Florida I just don't know if that one is feasible. I WANT for us to get down there to visit family and friends (September/October-ish, not July/August - I'm not crazy!). Riding a horse is dependent on our trip to Florida, my niece is an accomplished rider and has access to a very gentile pony.
4. We can Add to the List as we desire. Any suggestions?
Our 2013 Summer Bucket List
- Go to Discovery Place Kids
- Go to a Splash/Fountain Park (done)
- Take a trip to the Mountains (done)
- Go to the zoo (done)
- Go out for Brunch
- Play in the Baby Pool at Home (started, needs some work)
- Have new Professional Photos made
- Swim in an Outdoor Pool
- Go to the Nature Museum
- Take a trip to the beach/Florida
- Take swim lessons (in process)
- Have a Picnic at the park
- Build a Fort
- Go on a Hay Ride
- Ride a Horse
- Host Supper Club
- Have Play Dates with...
- SMC Families (done)